By Ali Behdad,Dominic Thomas
- Features over thirty unique essays from top foreign contributors
- Provides a severe evaluate of the prestige of literary and cross-cultural inquiry
- Addresses the background, present country, and way forward for comparative literature
- Chapters deal with such issues because the courting among translation and transnationalism, literary idea and rising media, the way forward for nationwide literatures in an period of globalization, gender and cultural formation throughout time, East-West cultural encounters, postcolonial and diaspora experiences, and different experimental techniques to literature and culture
Read or Download A Companion to Comparative Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This ebook describes conflicts of a tender Mexican girl being oppressed through the church, the nation and her personal family.
Following Hegel's research of art's expanding hassle to either have interaction and extricate itself from prosaic fact, Paul Fleming investigates the suggestions hired by way of German literature from 1750 to 1850 for more and more attuning itself to quotidian life—common heroes, lifestyle, non-extraordinary events—while additionally averting all notions of mediocrity.
During this groundbreaking and wide-ranging learn, Teresa Michals explores why a few books initially written for a mixed-age viewers, equivalent to Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, finally grew to become kid's literature, whereas others, similar to Samuel Richardson's Pamela, turned grownup novels. Michals considers how traditionally particular rules approximately age formed not just the readership of novels, but additionally the ways in which characters are represented inside of them.
Even supposing readers of prose fiction occasionally locate descriptive passages superfluous or dull, description itself is usually an important point of a poem. This e-book examines how various modern poets use description of their paintings. Description has been the nice burden of poetry. How do poets see the realm?
- Cartographic Strategies of Postmodernity: The Figure of the Map in Contemporary Theory and Fiction (Routledge Studies in Twentieth-Century Literature)
- The Cambridge Companion to Flaubert (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Black on Earth: African American Ecoliterary Traditions
- Wilde and Petronius: The "Satyricon" as a Template for "The Picture of Dorian Gray"
Additional resources for A Companion to Comparative Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Comparative Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Ali Behdad,Dominic Thomas