By David Seed
- This Companion conveys the size and diversity of technology fiction.
- Shows how technology fiction has been used as a way of debating cultural issues.
- Essays by means of a world diversity of students speak about the contexts, topics and strategies utilized by technological know-how fiction writers.
- Addresses common themes, equivalent to the historical past and origins of the style, its engagement with technological know-how and gender, and nationwide diversifications of technology fiction round the English-speaking world.
- Maps out connections among technology fiction, tv, the cinema, digital fact expertise, and different facets of the culture.
- Includes a bit concentrating on significant figures, similar to H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ursula Le Guin.
- Offers shut readings of specific novels, from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein to Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.
Read or Download A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This ebook describes conflicts of a tender Mexican lady being oppressed via the church, the nation and her personal family.
Following Hegel's research of art's expanding trouble to either interact and extricate itself from prosaic truth, Paul Fleming investigates the suggestions hired through German literature from 1750 to 1850 for more and more attuning itself to quotidian life—common heroes, way of life, non-extraordinary events—while additionally heading off all notions of mediocrity.
During this groundbreaking and wide-ranging learn, Teresa Michals explores why a few books initially written for a mixed-age viewers, comparable to Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, ultimately turned kid's literature, whereas others, comparable to Samuel Richardson's Pamela, turned grownup novels. Michals considers how traditionally particular rules approximately age formed not just the readership of novels, but additionally the ways in which characters are represented inside them.
Even if readers of prose fiction occasionally locate descriptive passages superfluous or dull, description itself is frequently an important point of a poem. This booklet examines how numerous modern poets use description of their paintings. Description has been the nice burden of poetry. How do poets see the realm?
- English Revenge Drama: Money, Resistance, Equality
- Anthropocene Fictions: The Novel in a Time of Climate Change (Under the Sign of Nature)
- This Thing Called Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing
- Sublime Enjoyment: On the Perverse Motive in American Literature (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture)
Extra info for A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Seed